Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A New Evangelistic Methodology

Today's thought from our "New Thru 30" Challenge:

"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:19

Read this the other day. New thought. The chronology of the two verbs "does" and "teaches" are all too significant. "Doing" the commandments must always precede "teaching" those commandments.

But what are some of the commandments Jesus is talking about here? Go back 3 verses.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." - Matthew 5:16

That is a commandment. As a disciple, student, and follower, Jesus calls me to allow the glory of God to shine bright in my life. Why? So others might see and praise the God whom is allowing His light to be made manifest in my life.

But verse 19 says I must first "do" the commandment before I "teach" the commandment. I am afraid we have too many people preaching and teaching the commands that they themselves have never obeyed.

New Evangelistic Methodology: let your light so shine brightly long before you encourage or teach others to be a witness.

"We modern Christians are long on talk and short on conduct." AW Tozer

Reaching,
pcraig

1 comment:

Christian Parker said...

I need a word !!!! Lol jk " I need a fresh revelation of "the word". Lol good blog pastor.