Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Guest Blogger: A Fast to Remember!

Well day ten is here and we are all approaching the mid point of the fast. By now many of us have hit the sweet spot, and we are now more focused on hearing from the Lord rather than not giving in on our stomachs. I know personally this is the time for me when I truly begin to grow in the fast.

One thing that a fast quickly teaches us is our utter dependence on God to sustain us not only through these 21 days but also for the other 344 days of the year. While reviewing some of my old devotional readings I came across a scripture in Leviticus that changed the way I was fasting.

Leviticus 16 contains the instructions for the Jewish ceremony known as the Day of Atonement or Yom Kippur. This was the day in which Aaron would go before the Lord in the tabernacle, and make atonement for all of the sins of the Israelites. While reading the instructions commanded from God I came upon verse 31, It shall be a Sabbath of rest unto you, and ye shall afflict your souls, by a statute forever. The phrase afflict your souls stood out to me and I soon realized that God had demanded the Israelites call a fast on the day they were to have their sins cleansed and atoned for. In the Psalms David also caught hold of this when he wrote that he would afflict himself with a fast. Instantly I began thinking about all of the things I was fasting for and soon realized that I had forgotten that above all the things I was fasting for God had already granted me the greatest blessing of all…. forgiveness.

It is easy during this time to begin to get focused only on the blessings that we seek after during these 21 days. Jesus warns us of this when in Matthew chapter six He said, “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.” I was quickly reminded that even if the Lord chose never to do another thing for me again I would still be blessed beyond measure due to the atonement Christ made for me on the Cross. I know and believe that God uses fasting to bring great blessings in our lives, and I am believing for some personally, but He also uses it so that we shall never forget what was accomplished for us on our Day of Atonement over 2000 years ago.

So as a mini challenge inside this already challenging fast; I ask you to take one of these twenty one days and focus on the sacrifice paid by Christ for you. I know personally this often has been a source of great joy in my life during the fast. Yes, I am humbled and dismayed by my sin, but I also have an overwhelming peace and joy knowing that Christ has dealt with my sin once and for all. Now I can walk in confidence knowing that God has declared me righteous through his sacrifice!

Keep on keepin' on!

Pastor Jeremy

No comments: