Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Life-Shaping Prayer


I came across a book called " A Life-Changing Prayer" by Paul Wesley Chilcote a few weeks ago, and I can't help but share some thoughts with you about this book.

Here is the gist: Chilcote came across the journal of an early Methodist woman named Elizabeth Rhodes a few years ago. In her journal, she has a prayer that she committed to memory for decades and prayed every day over her life. The prayer so moved him that he wrote an entire book simply dissecting this prayer. Rhodes' mentors had taught her to memorize prayers, and the prayer below shaped her entire life. Listen to the power of this prayer:

"Grant me, gracious Lord, a pure intention of heart, and a steadfast regard to your glory in all my actions. Possess my mind continually with your presence, and fill it with your love, that my whole delight may be to repose in the arms of your protection. Be light to my eyes, music to my ears, sweetness to my taste, and full contentment to my heart. Be my sunshine in the day, my food at the table, my repose in the night, my clothing in company, my succor in all necessities.
Lord Jesus, I give you my body, my soul, my substance, my fame, my friends, my liberty, and my life. Dispose of me, and all that is mine, as seems best to you, and to the glory of your blessed name. I am not my own, but yours; therefore claim me as your right, keep me as your charge, and love me as your child. Fight for me when I am assailed, heal me when I am wounded, and revive me when I am destroyed.
My Lord and my God, I ask you to give me patience in troubles, humility in comforts, constancy in temptations, and victory over all my ghostly enemies. Grant me sorrow for my sins, thankfulness for my benefits, fear of your judgments, love of your mercies, and mindfulness of your presence for evermore. Make me humble to my superiors and friendly to my equals, ready to please all and loathe to offend any; loving to my friends and charitable to my enemies. Give me modesty in my countenance, gravity in my behavior, deliberation in my speech, holiness in my thoughts, and righteousness in all my actions. Let your mercy cleanse me from my sins, and your grace bring forth in me the fruits of everlasting life.
Lord, let me be obedient without arguing, humble without feigning, patient without grudging, pure without corruption, mercy without lightness, sad without mistrust, sober without dullness, true without duplicity, fearing you without desperation, and trusting you without presumption. Let me joyful for nothing but that which pleases you, and sorrowful for nothing but what displeases you: that labor be my delight which is for you, and let all weary me that is not in you. Give me a waking spirit, and a diligent soul, that I may seek to know your will, and when I know it may I perform it faithfully to the honor and glory of your ever blessed name. Amen."

For me, this prayer leads to a rediscovery of what it means to practice faith. Studying and praying this prayer for a "waking spirit and a diligent soul" will lead you toward vital Christianity. I am bold to claim that this prayer can be an avenue through which the Spirit forms you and me in Christ as well.

Chilcote took this prayer that is divided into four roughly equal parts and provided a theme for each section:
Part 1: Who is God to me?
Part 2: What can I give to and ask of God?
Part 3: How does God shape my life?
Part 4: How do I live as a disciple of Christ?

Each of these four sections are divided into 13 different phrases drawn from the prayer; each phrase represents a theme related to the above questions.

I am going to post a different thought every Monday from this book for the next 52 weeks, one full year. That will take us through the whole prayer over the next year. Each thought will be introduced with a phrase from this prayer.

I pray that God will become increasingly real to you as you use this prayer. The practice of prayer - practicing life in Christ - requires effort, but all begins and ends in God's grace and loving-kindness. Permit the Spirit of God to breathe new life into you here at the beginning.

This will prove to be a great devotion!

Part One coming next Monday!
pcraig

2 comments:

Robert S. said...

What a powerful prayer. I'm looking forward to this!

Matt McMurray said...

Very good. I've always believed that if they took the time to record Paul's prayers than it must be some kind of structure for our prayer life. You can tell he studied prayer which I bet is what moved him from a "just" prayer which is what most everyone prays... (I just pray, God just do, etc.) He knew how to pray effectively which is so powerful and encouraging. This might be a book I have to buy.