Monday, May 10, 2010

Week 9 - "And Full Contentment to My Heart"

It is Monday! And you have to come to know what that means....

As a recap, here is the great prayer from Elizabeth Rhodes:

"Grant me, gracious Lord, a pure intention of heart, and a steadfast regard to your glory in all my actions. Possess my mind continually with your presence, and fill it with your love, that my whole delight may be to repose in the arms of your protection. Be light to my eyes, music to my ears, sweetness to my taste,
and full contentment to my heart. Be my sunshine in the day, my food at the table, my repose in the night, my clothing in company, my succor in all necessities.
Lord Jesus, I give you my body, my soul, my substance, my fame, my friends, my liberty, and my life. Dispose of me, and all that is mine, as seems best to you, and to the glory of your blessed name. I am not my own, but yours; therefore claim me as your right, keep me as your charge, and love me as your child. Fight for me when I am assailed, heal me when I am wounded, and revive me when I am destroyed.
My Lord and my God, I ask you to give me patience in troubles, humility in comforts, constancy in temptations, and victory over all my ghostly enemies. Grant me sorrow for my sins, thankfulness for my benefits, fear of your judgments, love of your mercies, and mindfulness of your presence for evermore. Make me humble to my superiors and friendly to my equals, ready to please all and loathe to offend any; loving to my friends and charitable to my enemies. Give me modesty in my countenance, gravity in my behavior, deliberation in my speech, holiness in my thoughts, and righteousness in all my actions. Let your mercy cleanse me from my sins, and your grace bring forth in me the fruits of everlasting life.
Lord, let me be obedient without arguing, humble without feigning, patient without grudging, pure without corruption, mercy without lightness, sad without mistrust, sober without dullness, true without duplicity, fearing you without desperation, and trusting you without presumption. Let me joyful for nothing but that which pleases you, and sorrowful for nothing but what displeases you: that labor be my delight which is for you, and let all weary me that is not in you. Give me a waking spirit, and a diligent soul, that I may seek to know your will, and when I know it may I perform it faithfully to the honor and glory of your ever blessed name. Amen."

Chilcote took this prayer that is divided into four roughly equal parts and provided a theme for each section:
Part 1: Who is God to me? (first paragraph of prayer)
Part 2: What can I give to and ask of God? (second)
Part 3: How does God shape my life? (third)
Part 4: How do I live as a disciple of Christ? (fourth)

Today, we continue with part one from Chilcote.

Scripture

“I rejoice in the Lord greatly that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned for me, but had no opportunity to show it. Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” - Philippians 4:10-13

Meditation

True contentment eludes many people. Elizabeth’s prayer asks God to be the source and the object of the fullest possible contentment. Certainly we live into such a sense of well-being over time and through the various experiences of life that confirm God’s trustworthiness. Like a child, we have to learn to trust. Full contentment seldom comes immediately; we practice our way into it.

Paul wrote his letter to the Philippians from prison. He had endured much for the sake of the Lord. And yet, even in this circumstance, he learned to be content. The early Methodist people practiced the art of godly trust. They discovered profound mentors in Charles and Sally Wesley in this regard. The couple’s home, filled with all the agony and ecstasy that is part and parcel of family life, glowed with a certain warmth and security born of trust in God.

One of Charles’s hymns written for families reflects the spirit of their life together. In the midst of silent tears and boding fears, Christ proved his love and care, over and over again. Mercy flies to their rescue. Before the face of God, even death loosens its grip. Jesus offers no easy panacea for life’s troubles, but, even in the midst of grief, the believer holds fast to Jesus’ presence. God’s perfect strength never fails; when we are weak, God’s word of promise raises us above all fear and hopelessness in life. Full contentment depends upon relationships of trust – miracles of grace.

Prayer

Gracious Lord, strength of the weak and ever-present help in time of need: grant me the grace to trust you in all things and to find you present in every circumstance, for my heart will never find perfect peace of full contentment until it rests in you. Amen.

Part Ten coming next Monday...
pcraig

No comments: