Monday, August 17, 2009

"What's theTURN?"


"We need to become more focused on who we are trying to reach than who we are trying to keep."

Above was a quote I made last Thursday night....which by the way, last week was nothing short of incredible! 140 college and 20-somethings in attendance with 7 commitments to Christ - God is shifting us in a new direction...

Just a quick recap of the night:

"What's theTURN?
I used the five dumbest things I've heard said about the church to preach my message on Thursday night, and then I sought to show how they were ignorant statements based upon what the church did not do in the book of Acts.

What is the vision for theTURN? It is simple - the vision for the Church at large. My whole message came out of Acts 2:36-46.

1. PREACHING ISN'T NEEDED IN TODAY'S CHURCHES - IT DOESN'T WORK ANYMORE! We will always believe in the preaching of the gospel at theTURN. NT church started with preaching. It is a life-giving exchange.

2. I WASN'T GETTING FED AT THAT CHURCH.
The people devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching....an authentic church is a learning church. It is the first mark of a Spirit-filled church that Luke gives in Acts 2:42.

3. I DON'T HAVE TO GO TO CHURCH TO BE A CHRISTIAN.
No, but they needed it; so I know I need it! Read Acts 2:46. They met in large gatherings as well as in smaller groups. We will follow this model of ministry at theTURN. Don't rob yourself of the greatest thing going because it sucked one time. A bad experience is no excuse for a withdrawal or complacency in the church. An unchurched Christian in the NT would have been a grotesque abnormality - a monster. Stop being a bonified church shopper and buy in to what God is doing..! Never heard the bare minimum principle applied to any other part of our lives...never heard a lady say, "I only need one pair of shoes to walk."

4. I DON'T LIKE BIG CHURCHES.
Simple as this: you won't like heaven then. Rev. 7:8-9. Don't excuse your lack of church growth and souls coming to know Jesus by saying you don't like big churches. Shame on us for wanting to preserve our community at the expense of people dying and going to hell.

5. GOD DOES NOT CHANGE SO WHY DOES THE CHURCH?
He always moves...I want to pastor a church that sings a hymn for worship and plays Outkast behind theTURN News - a church that combines old timeless values and truths and adds modern vibes to reach people.

See you this Thursday night....
pc

1 comment:

Anita Szaller said...

I'm excited on what God is doing within this ministry. I love how He shows up and shows out lately and I'm looking forward to this Thursday night!